Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Internship #7

Site: Birch Aquarium

Department: Education Department

Project Title: Volunteer Training Manual

Description: I am updating a manual for volunteers that explains the set-up and lesson plans for school classes that are taught daily.

Learning: I am learning a lot just by attending the classes, as well as working on the descriptions.

Organization: The Aquarium needs new volunteers to understand how to set up classrooms and handle animals. The advantage to remaking the manual in a digital format is that instead of having only one binder, now volunteers will be able to access the information from anywhere.

Schedule: I am on my own schedule, as there are only 2-3 classes per day it will take a while before I see all of them, or at least enough for the manual.

After the first week at the Aquarium I got to see all kinds of animals, dissect a squid, and meet all kinds of people. I didn't expect for so many people to ask me about the shark feedings, but I guess that comes with the volunteer shirt. All in all I really just kept my head down and did my best to learn how everything worked.

No comments:

Post a Comment